Pedestrians have the same rights to compensation as motorists that are involved in an accident. Pedestrian accidents are sometimes caused by other dangerous conditions, such as tripping hazards on the streets and sidewalks. All in all, pedestrians must prove that the party responsible for the accident caused their injuries. As a personal injury law firm, we have handled numerous pedestrian accident matters with great results.
- In 2012, 4,743 pedestrians were killed in traffic crashes in the United States, and another 76,000 were injured. This averages to one crash-related pedestrian death every two hours, and an injured pedestrian every seven minutes. (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration).
- About 700 pedestrians died in motor vehicle accidents in California in 2014, according to the Governors Highway Safety Association (GHSA). In 2013, 701 pedestrians were killed in California.
- California has the country’s highest number of pedestrian fatalities! (GHSA)
- Despite efforts by government, the percentage of pedestrian fatalities compared to all motor vehicle deaths continue to rise. Over the past few years, that number has gone from 11% to 14%. In California however, 23% of all motor vehicle fatalities were pedestrians – well above the national average.
- 70% of all pedestrian fatalities occurred at night, between 6pm and 6am.
It’s also important for parents to protect their children. In 2012, more than one in every five children, between ages 5 and 15 who were killed in traffic crashes, were pedestrians. (NHTSA).
When hiring a pedestrian accident attorney, you must make sure they have handled your type of case before. Pedestrian cases are unique in the fact that there are many issues involved concerning vehicle and traffic code sections. We have handled many cases in this realm of negligence law, just to name a few:
- Several cases where a pedestrians was hit by a vehicle while crossing the street in a crosswalk.
- An armored truck employee was walking out of a business, when he stepped on a meter hole that collapsed causing him to literally fall into the meter hole and slam his knee into the piping.
- Pedestrian got out of her car and walked onto the sidewalk, where she stepped in an exposed DPW hole and severely injured her foot.
- Pedestrian fell into a city planter that did not contain enough dirt or gravel
- Pedestrian tripped over a sidewalk area that contained a 5-inch deviation in height.
- Pedestrian was crossing the street in the middle of the night and was run over by a police vehicle. We argued that although the pedestrian was in the middle of the street. it was not considered “jaywalking.” Also, we argued that because there was a vehicle in front of the police vehicle that was able to stop in time to allow the pedestrian enough time to cross, the police vehicle should have seen the pedestrian in enough time to avoid the accident. This was a tragic case wherein the victim suffered severe injury including brain damage.
In these types of cases, it is very important to hire the right injury lawyer to prove your case. Because we have been doing this for so long, we know the top people in the industry of accident reconstruction. We also know the top medical experts who will testify in your trial and explain to the jury what your injuries truly are and what their effect will be in the future.
If you’re a pedestrian that’s been struck by a car or involved in another type of accident, please contact Halpern & Associates in Los Angeles today.